Sunday, September 21, 2008

Inspiration

Ever since I graduated from Michigan I have become a magazine and book junkie! I've always loved to read but with endless pages of textbooks and studying I never had time to read for fun. I can remember walking through Barnes & Noble and Borders for some much needed decompressing and loving every moment in the late afternoons. There is something so exciting about the discovery of a new author or the mystery that lies within the clean ecru pages of a beautifully designed book cover... I can't lie, I pre-judge a book by it's cover- it's horrible.

I would walk past the new release table carefully observing the titles and then proceed to the sale table placed behind, or off to the side, of the new releases. And once I glanced over those books I headed to the fabulous magazine area. When I was a child I remember Highlights magazine and National Geographic for kids. I'm not sure if I ever read an "article" but I made lots of decoupage crafts with cut outs and completed every maze and puzzle!

I love the excitement created by the magazine rack. The glossy cover, bold typeface, beautiful people/things catching your eye as you see hundreds of new issues... it is so overwhelming! I was faced with a major dilemma... do I spend the $4 and get a coffee that I've been craving since 2:00 or do I splurge on $2 more for the new Martha Stewart? Thank you to the fabulous people at B&N, I would buy my coffee and sit in the comfy chairs with a stack of magazines and flip till my hearts content. (Funny thing, when Kyle and I first started dating over 5 and a half years ago, I found out that he used to do the same thing!)

So what's the point of this story? Here it is... now that I "have" time (I use that phrase lightly) I have magazines and books everywhere. I can't tell you how exciting it is to get the mail in the morning and see the new issue of In Style or Everyday Food. What magazines do I subscribe to?
Martha Stewart Living, Real Simple, In Style, Shape, Everyday Food, Travel & Leisure and Domino to name a few. My new favorite magazine is Domino. The magazine is interior design based with elements of luxury, thriftiness, utterly ridiculousness luxury and re-purposing junk- I love it!

While sifting through the pages (the first thing I do with a new mag, then I go back and read) I stumbled upon a name that caught my attention and design that I gravitated to- Ochre. I am not a modern girl by any means but if modern design means beautiful lines, yummy fabrics and creative styling then sign me up. Added bonus, they are a British company and my husband's entire family are Brits.

Here are a few of the pieces that blew me away and check out their chic site for some beautiful peices. FYI there are no prices on the site so be sure to put your "savvy" glasses on before wiping the drool from your keyboard!

Devine Recline corner chair and stool


Arctic Pear Chandelier


Snooze sofa with Light Drizzle Chandelier


These pieces are not only aesthetically beautiful but linguistically beautiful as well- who wouldn't love a "snooze" sofa that looked like this?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my... gorgeous!!