Friday, April 18, 2008

A Quick Trip

There are two great things about being self employed.

1) I am my own boss.
2) I set my own hours.

On Wednesday I exercised my boss like powers and took off to Ann Arbor to catch up with some girlfriends just like old times and at our old stomping ground, except now three of us are married and the other engaged!

I've known Christina since eighth grade and we've been best friends since ninth grade... that means we've been sharing clothes, oogling over boys and feeding our faces together for over eleven years. Aside from junior high and high school we lived together all four years at Michigan and are closer than ever. Our freshman year at Michigan (we also lived with Melissa and I've known her since seventh grade!) we met some girls from Saline, Lindsey Wurtzel and Allison (Kraeger) Fox.

Tina and I on spring break in 2003 in the Bahamas.


I wish I could say we all met through class or the dorms but no... that credit must be given to the Michigan Hockey team, more particularly those members in our freshman class. (This is another post for another day!) As they say, boys come and go but friends stay, and stay we have. For seven years the four of us have had some crazy adventures together!

Ali and I met on Woodlawn Avenue and thank God for second chances because the first meeting didn't go so well! Since then we've ate numerous boxes of cookies, watched hours of Oprah and shared our hopes and dreams. Ali and her hubby Jake, who plays baseball for the Iowa Cubs, spend most of their year in Arizona and since she drove home last week it was a great reason to take a trip back to A-squared. (For those of you not familiar with Michigan terminology, this means Ann Arbor!)

Ali and I working together for the Michigan football team in 2004, eat your hearts out Michigan fans!


Lindsey and I were introduced a couple times before we became friends but as contagious as her smile, so was her warm heart and unfailing friendship. After graduating in 2005 before Linds and Tina headed to UM Dental School, the three of us headed to Europe for three weeks. There are too many stories to tell about that trip but let's just say we could have accidentally stolen breakfast from a French hotel while we were there! It was a miracle we didn't end up on Interpol's website!

Lindsey and I at the top of Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.


So on Wednesday this week we all got together for dinner, drinks and conversation- chatting away and laughing our butts off! Unfortunately I had to head back to reality on Thursday, but not before a great breakfast with Al and lots more chit chatting. As I was driving out of town Thursday morning it hit me. What you ask? How incredibly blessed and fortunate I am to have such amazing friends. Now it's not like this was an "ah-ha" moment or it just "dawned on me out of thin air." I know how amazing these women are and when Kyle and I got married, they were all standing beside me, just as we are were, and will be, for one another.

But that wave of emotion was something that was just too cool to not ignore. As the passing lines on the highway blurred I thanked God for all the amazing women and friends in my life. I cannot count the hours, days or years they have pulled me through tough times, made me pee my pants from laughing so hard or shared countless tears of sorrow and joy. Collectively we've experienced more emotional roller coasters than Tiger Woods has fist pumps!

So Al, Linds and Tina... thanks for a great visit and some amazing memories. I cannot wait to see what God has in store for us and the adventures he'll take us on! Where are we all meeting up next time?!?!

... and if you ever forget why I love you all so much, re-read our wedding program! Hehe, that's my heart and soul on paper! Love you, xoxox. Lish

The four of us celebrating Christina's birthday in 2004.


I wouldn't have had this moment any other way.

No comments: