Sunday, April 27, 2008

I love comfort food!

According to my last post we were supposed to get a bunch of yard work done yesterday. That didn't happen one bit! After the golf lesson I had with the adorable Amanda who is seven at 9:00 in the morning in 40 degree weather at the Grand Traverse Resort, I refused to be outside any longer than needed. 40 degrees doesn't feel like 40 degrees when you have wind gusting up to 30 miles an hour! So instead we got some errands rounded up and made a great dinner for the family.

Here is a great recipe for scalloped potatoes
that I doctored up to fit the chilly weather. We served these potatoes with roasted pork loin, fresh asparagus and apple dumplings! YummY!

Alicia's "Stick-on-your-rib" Scalloped Potatoes

3 lbs Russet Potatoes
3 cups freshly grated Gouda
2/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan
6 slices Provolone
3 tbs flour
4 gloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 cup reduced fat milk
1 cup sour cream
2 tsp fresh Thyme
Salt
Pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. (Sorry Mel, I don't have the altitude conversion... just wing it!) Clean, peel and thinly slice potatoes (1/4 inch or less- if you have a mandoline even better), place on paper towels to reduce moisture. Combine sour cream and milk, mix well. Grease a 13"x9" baking dish with butter or cooking spray. Arrange potato layer in bottom of the dish slightly overlapping ends. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste, 1 tbs flour, 1/3 of the minced garlic, 1/3 cup onion, 1 cup Gouda and pour 1/3 of the sour cream/milk mixture over slices. Repeat this two more times till all onion, garlic, Gouda and sour cream/milk are gone. After final potato layer salt and pepper, then Thyme and place sliced Provolone on top. Cover with aluminum foil- make sure to grease foil, you don't want that great cheese stuck to it do you? Cook for 45 minutes covered then uncover, top with Parmesan and continue baking for another 45 minutes to hour. (Cooking times may very depending on thickness of potato slices.) Once done... ENJOY!

I've recalled the recipe from memory, I hope it's right! Here's a picture of Cayman that I took while he was waiting patiently for his taste of the potatoes.


(To get him to sit there I held his sample on a fork above my head... he's a little food crazy like me! I love it!!)

No comments: