Friday, April 11, 2008

A Personal Shout Out

I know I've been absent from the blogsphere and since I was called out on my absence I've dedicated this post to the caller-outer... my dear friend Andy Kay.

It's been almost a decade that Andy and I have been friends. His family moved from Troy to Traverse City when we were in high school. He was the new kid on the block yet he blended well with the TCCHS culture. Even though we were friends in high school it wasn't until I headed to Ann Arbor and Andy to East Lansing that we became closer.

I remember countless conversations our first years of college on how lucky we each were to go to the "better" school and I relished the phone calls every fall after a victory was had! One of my favorite memories was our senior year of college. It was the infamous 2004 Michigan State vs. Michigan triple-overtime football game. Andy, Kyle and my brother were in our living room in Ann Arbor watching the game, cheering on their team from the land of maize and blue. Then the bomb dropped, Braylon Edwards had an amazing catch in the North end-zone of the Big House and the Wolverines defeated the Spartans! Three Spartans, in a Wolverine Den, were licking their wounds... Go Blue!

As time went on and I headed back to TC and Andy has moved from southern Michigan to Denver. When Kyle and I were planning our wedding last year and deciding who we wanted to be included in our special day I knew that Andy had to be a part. So as Kyle and I said our "I do's" Andy was one of our ushers. It was great having him there!

So Andy, since you called me out and I made a promise... thanks for being such a great friend and listening to all my problems, cheering me up and surpassing my injury record! Here's to more memories and laughs, next time wear a wrist guard!

Our Sophomore year of college I went on Andy's date party with him to Windsor... ask him about our bus breaking down on the way there!


Robbie Detwiler, Brent Kratchovil, me and Andy

No comments: