Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year everyone! Kyle, Murphy and I wish you all the best for a blessed 2009!

For the holiday this year we spent the evening with friends in Boyne City and had a great time... stay tuned for some fun pictures and comments from the evening!

On a side note, we just went to see" Marley & Me" today. About three Christmases ago my mother-in-law bought the book for me and I could never bring myself to read it. Everyone I knew that had read, or was reading it, said how upsetting it was and how much they cried. (A very dear friend, who will remain anonymous even said he even cried! Let's just say he's no leaky faucet.)

The day after Christmas, Kyle, Dad, Andrew, Murph and I headed down to Indy to visit Aunt Sue and Papa. In an effort to decompress I elected to not turn on my computer (the reason for delayed postings) and read a book and a few magazines that are piling up. Jennifer Aniston is one of my favorite actresses. Ever since "Friends" when we shared the same haircut I've felt a huge bond. Owen Wilson cracks me up every single movie I watch him in. I knew that I wanted to see the Marley movie yet it was a matter of preparing myself.

In an effort to curb the uncontrollable sobbing I feared would happen I opening the book and dove in. John Grogan is an incredibly talented author. By far a great laugh-out-loud read... at one point people were making fun of my random giggles when no one in the room I was reading in had said anything funny. My favorite line... "he (Marley) had the attention span of algae and the volatility of nitroglycerine."

Grogan writes with a tenderness and brutal reality that makes readers fall in love with this big loveable beast. His unfailable loyalty and devotion, spastic bursts of energy and truly intuitive nature make Marley a page turning read dragging you along for the ride! As I neared the end I knew our four legged friend was also approaching his. About a year ago there was a great email forward that my Mom sent me. It had something to do with the shortened life span of dogs compared to humans. I don't remember the full email nor could I find it but it was something like this... dogs don't need to live as long as we do, for they have loved greater than any human in a fraction of our lifespan.

As I finished the last page I wiped my eyes and the snot that was running down my face feeling lucky to know and experience first hand the love that Grogan writes about. My family has had two wonderful Golden Retrievers. Squirt, our first, was the Old Wise One. He never barked and was always the gentle giant helping me get over my fear of dogs. Our second who is five is Cayman. The crazy yet loveable goof who stole my heart the moment he came home with us. And then there is our little angel- Murphy, who has me wrapped around all four paws so tight that sometimes I swear he really is a small, furry baby!

Walking out of the movie was a lot like closing the book. Not a dry eye in the hallway- except the snot that was on my face was now on my scarf (I forgot kleenex). And the best part of all... my strong, loving and amazing husband was wiping his eyes and in such a hurry to get home to see our Mr. Wiggles.


No comments: