Friday, January 18, 2008

I'll admit it, I'm a gear head!

Ever since I was little (and I found out that the little sister my mom was growing in her belly was really a little brother) (and before I was born) my family has had an infatuation with the automobile. My dad Steve was educated with automotive background and then when Andrew was old enough and began collecting Hotwheels, Matchbox & Micro Machines I became a groupie. I can remember a trail running from his bedroom, down the hallway, through our living room, into the family room, down the stairs to the fireplace and then around to the dining room of these tiny cars lined up end to end. We'd play cars and race them around homemade tracks, use Lego's to make garages and perfect the sound of gears shifting around corners.

Then when I began dating my husband Kyle I knew it was all over. Not only were Andrew and Dad gear heads but so was Kyle. Between the three of them they can fix dents, repair transmissions, replace brakes, paint, patch, re-attach almost anything that needs to be fixed on a car. Aside from their incredible knowledge of how to build and repair the automobile they are walking encyclopedias! When Andrew and I were little and traveling we used to play a game, "Guess The Car." How to play the game? Who could name the make and model of the car the soonest and furthest away. (Parents beware, this game does not involve seat belts- children need 360 degree rotation!) Most of the time Andrew would win but I learned how to tell a Ford from a Buick by the headlights alone!

Okay, so you're wondering where this is going? This week of January year after year some of the biggest and baddest cars for sale are auctioned off during the Barrett-Jackson auto auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. Tonight and Saturday some of the most expensive cars for sale will trade hands and set records on the Speed Channel. Now I know what you're thinking. Why does she care? It's exciting! The emotion of an auction and the magnificence of a museum display rolled all into one.

Now if this car would to come up on the auction block (and I had millions of dollars) I'd definitely make a move...



This beauty is from Ralph Lauren's private collection and is a Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic. For some beautiful cars check out the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance... absolutely beautiful!

No comments: