Tuesday, December 15, 2009

It's never too early...

Photo credit: Confetti System for Urban Outifitters

It's safe to say that the blistery winds and snow of winter are now here. As I sit typing this looking out on our backyard, I can see some of the dried hydrangea flowers that were still on the bush blowing away like tumbleweeds. For many, winter is a bit of a "Debby Downer" season. The lack of sunshine during these months is always an adjustment. Some flee south for warmer weather and others hibernate. For Kyle and I winter has become a solitude. With crazy busy Spring-Summer-Fall seasons we normally "dial down" a bit in the Winter. Work days are shortened and a time for re-energizing and re-charging is in order.

However, this Winter may not slow down- it very well may "speed up." With A Day in May, Event Planning & Design continuing to grow (we are almost booked for 2010) I'll be working hard this winter on further establishing our blog, our internet marketing presence and designing for our new clients and our company (i.e. continuing to sculpt ADIM).

With our last wedding of 2009 almost three months past I've been in a motivational and inspirational funk. And to be frank, I've been overwhelmed with all the responsibilities of owning a small business and being a wife, daughter, sister, friend at the same time. Some days I find that because my plates are so full that I don't know where to begin.

Because I know I'm not the only person who feels this way I thought I'd fill you all in on my 2010 New Years resolutions that I'm starting today, it's never too early...

Alicia's 2010 New Years Resolution(s) are:

1) to be a better wife.
No one is perfect, thankfully. And I am most definitely not the perfect wife. Since starting ADIM I've been focused on the success of our business rather than the growth and success of our marriage. I am so blessed to have such a great husband and I want to do more to let him know how wonderful he is and how much I love him. He has always supported me and my dreams and I too want to support him.

2) to learn just "to be."
For the sake of my own mental health I need to learn how to relax! I can watch a movie or read a book but I need to learn how to simply exist, "to be."

3) to be more productive with the time I have.
Liene Stevens with Splendid Communications had a great post a while back about Block Scheduling. I know that Block Scheduling does not work for me however I do know that I am most productive in the mornings. By maximizing my "work" time the more time I will have to spend with Kyle, Murphy and our family and friends.

I was talking with one of my best friends last weekend who said she "doesn't have her life figured out." None of us do! I especially don't. But I do know that I want to make changes in my life that will have a positive impact on myself and those I love before things "speed" out of control that I loose the solitude and stillness.

No comments: